We are having a lot of fun with the halloween photo. Thanks for all the comments! For the costume geeks out there, I thought I would talk a little about how I made mine.
The fabric is polyester faux suede. It had the advantage of being a little bit warm (it is MN after all). I wanted double knit, but it didn’t come in the color I wanted, so this was better.
I started with Simplicity 4675. The original uniforms had dolman sleeves and strange curved seams. I am not that in to authenticity.
I wanted a basic princess seam because I knew that would look nice and
fit well. This pattern had a princess seam and a pleated skirt, so it was a good basic place to start.
What did I change?
- added long sleeves. The photos from the series always show them “bracelet length” aka just a bit too short.
- Instead of two large pleats like the pattern called for I just made one and lined it up with the seam from the top. Faux wrap skirt.
- Shortened the skirt. Also not so authentic as mine is too long. Original Series length is not really appropriate to wear to work. And I did wear it to work.
- For the back, I just extended the top down and made the top and skirt all one piece.
- Neckline. I made the pattern neckline to start, tried it on, drew in the new neckline with a disappearing ink marker and cut the new shape.
- Collar. A 4 inch wide piece of the same fabric in black, folded over twice. added gold ric-rac and an insignia made with a scrap of gold satin and some zig-zag stitching
(For anyone who noticed that this post was here and then disappeared and then here again, my darling hubby accidentally deleted my first post.)