Beginner Embroidery (2 sessions)
March 14, 2018 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm CDT| $60
Learn all you need to know about beginning hand embroidery. We will cover the basics of tools, threads, needles, and to hoop or not hoop. Each session we will focus on a group of related stitches, like variations on a theme, with time to practice between sessions and come back with questions. No embroidery experience needed.
Supply list for Beginning Embroidery
Get all of your supplies at the shop; just come a few minutes before class starts so you are ready to go at class time.
- 1/4 – 1/2 yd of plain colored woven cotton fabric. I recommend RJR solids or Kona cotton. Choose any color or basic muslin.
- 3-5 colors of six-stranded embroidery floss (thread). Choose any colors.
- Embroidery needles. I recommend John James, assorted sizes 5/10.
- One 5-7” embroidery hoop. Wooden or plastic is fine.
You might want a pen and paper to take notes. You are welcome to take photos/video with your camera/phone as I demonstrate stitches.
A note about colors. If you don’t know what colors to choose, here are some suggestions.
- Contrast is great. Choose white/charcoal/black as a fabric color and three bright colors like red, turquoise and green for your threads.
- Think of a theme like “ice cream”. That doesn’t mean you are going to make a picture of ice cream, but it gives you a hint about colors.
- Ice Cream: Vanilla background fabric, brown, pink and pale green threads.
- Ocean: Pale blue background fabric, tan, turquoise, yellow threads.
- Paris: Pale grey fabric, blue, red and pink threads.