The answer is miniatures.

A few posts back, you probably saw our annual Halloween photo. My husband and I started doing photos about 15 years ago. We felt like it was dumb to send out photos in Christmas cards, so one year we sent out a Halloween costume photo instead. It was so much fun that it became an annual thing.

We come up with the top secret theme around late summer and figure out how to stage the photo in October sometime. They are nearly always taken in our basement photo studio with much creative reuse of furniture, sawhorses and velvet drapes. I always say that they are about 80% costume and 20% Photoshop.

This year our storyline was Newt Scamander (author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, of the Harry Potter universe) interviewing a “fantastic beast” for his book. We hadn’t done a Harry Potter theme yet and it was fun to pick a less “main story” character. Newt has his own movie (which I like a lot) but I know that was not nearly as main stream as the HP series.

We thought about pixies or bowtruckles, but I decided that I wanted to be a mermaid. I didn’t want to make a mermaid tail that fit me, however. I thought about it and just decided that it would be 100% too much work. So we talked about it and decided that we would try to make the tail part of my costume as a miniature.

And there it is. The tail is about 10 inches tall and made from air drying paper clay, wire and some iridescent film. I googled and found a super detailed tutorial from […]

2017-11-13T00:26:54-05:00An Artist's Life|1 Comment

It’s almost time for Halloween (a look back at our annual card)


Halloween is my favorite holiday.  I imagine most of you have figured that out by now if you’ve been popping in here at the blog for any length of time.  Every year my husband and I do a Halloween photoshoot.  We’ve been doing this for years now.  Some people do photos for their Christmas cards, we do Halloween.  The collage above are some of the “greatest hits”.  (You should be able to click on the photo to see it larger.)   Each is about 80% photo and 20% Photoshop magic.  Clockwise they are:  The Evil Queen and the Magic Mirror (powered by Google), Sweethearts, Star Trek (with guest appearance of Lucy), Mr and Mrs. Lincoln, I Dream of Jeanne, Andrew Rahn: Double Reed, Vaudeville Magicians and Alice & the Cheshire Cat.  The theme for the year is always top secret and I am busily sewing the costumes for this year’s installment, which will be posted on Halloween.  I hope you are having fun this week with some costume or decorating projects to fit the season!

2015-10-27T11:37:20-05:00Everything Else|1 Comment

Halloween Behind the Scenes & The Paper Wizard

I love to do a little behind-the-scenes post about the annual Halloween photo to tell you a little about it and this year there is a neat story.  First some fun facts you might not know when you look at the photo.

  • There is only one half of the box.  We made 1 and took two photos of Andy to assemble the scene.  Much easier than actually sawing him in half.
  • There are no star decorations in the background.  We added them later because it needed a little more bling.  Andy also gave our glitter a little more oomph.
  • The saw is our Christmas tree saw that has now been painted gold and had jewels added.  We will be very styling for Christmas.

The neatest part of this photo is the tuxedo.

photo (20)I originally had a whole other plan for the Halloween theme, but then I got this tuxedo in the mail.  It belonged to my Uncle Lester (actually my great-great-uncle).  Lester Grimes, “The Paper Wizard”, was a magician in the 1920s and 30s.  He was known for tricks that involved paper and origami and performed one of the opening acts at the 1932 World’s Fair.  He was a friend and colleague of Harry Houdini and actually acquired Houdini’s collection of books about “spiritualism” after Houdini’s death.

Screen Shot 2014-11-19 at 3.09.44 PM

The tuxedo is one that he wore in one of his acts and family history says that it was made for him by the costumers at Radio City Music Hall.  I raise my coffee in a toast to those costumers because it is beautifully made and it amazing condition.  My dad found this […]

2014-11-19T21:53:55-05:00Everything Else|2 Comments

Sign up for my e-newsletter to see tutorials, events, upcoming classes and more.