Spend an hour with a needle and thread exploring the art of embroidery. Each week you’ll learn a new kind of stitch: chain stitch, satin, back stitch, buttonhole, figure eight knots and more. We’ll start by making abstract doodles with the basic form and then try out different variations to add texture and color. For inspiration, we’ll look at a few examples of each stitch used in different ways in modern and vintage textiles. Beginners are welcome; you don’t need any sewing experience for this class.
This is a drop in class held every Thursday at noon (Central Time) / 6pm (GST). It is held in partnership with SoulSanity.io as part of their artmaking & wellness program and is open to anyone.
Your $24 registration allows you to attend any or all of the sessions from July 7 – September 29, 2022. You can come to all of the sessions or pick and choose which ones you are interested in.
Tentative Stitch Schedule: Jul 7 Backstitch & 5 variations • Jul 14 Barb Stitch • July 21 Chain & Interlaced Chain • July 28 Cast on Stitch • Aug 4 Cretan Stitch • August 11 (no class) • August 18 Lattice Stitch • August 25 Giordes Knot • Sept 1 Crow’s Foot • Sept 8 Feathered Buttonhole • Sept 15 Buttonholed Cable Chain • Sept 22 Palestrina Stitch • Sept 29 Combos
Materials needed for class. This will be the same for all class sessions:
- An assortment of 3-5 colors of embroidery thread. I recommend 6-stranded cotton “cross stitch” floss or #8 perle cotton.
- An embroidery or chenille needle. Embroidery or chenille needles have a large eye and a sharp point; this is different than the kind of needle used for cross stitch or quilting/sewing. I recommend a size 24 or 26 Chenille or size 7-10 Embroidery needle.
- A small pair of sharp scissors
- A small piece of fabric to stitch on. I recommend a piece of wool/rayon blend or 100% wool felt fabric approximately 6×6 inches or 15x15cm. You can also use a mid-weight woven cotton fabric.
- For fabric/thread/needle examples and resources with more details please see: www.beckarahn.com/stitch
OR Get the bundle!
You can also use this link to get a supply kit I have assembled at Maydel.com. I am partnering with Maydel through a cool “mutual support” program that they have which lets me put together a class supply kit for you and then I get a small commission credit to their site to get supplies to make samples and develop more classes. It’s a win for everyone! I’ve picked my favorite colors and the basics you need, but you can customize the kit to get the colors you like too.