I’m teaching a class today about opening an Etsy shop and I wanted to create a quick reference handout that had clickable links. That’s hard to do with a paper handout. So I decided to create it as a blog post and even if you aren’t in my class, this reference might be helpful to you as well.
I always recommend that new potential Etsy sellers take some time to read the Etsy Seller Handbook, but it can be really overwhelming to get started. It has a lot of information. So here are my 10 favorite articles to help you make decisions as you are opening up your shop and trying to decide what features to use.
- This beginners guide to selling on Etsy has a whole lot of links to some of the most frequently used features and is kind of like a checklist of the steps you should take to set up.
- Tips for choosing your shop name.
- This article on Communicating your Brand has great advice and links about creating shop policies and FAQs.
- How to add variations (color, size, style) and photos of those variations to your listings.
- 7 types of product photos. This is a really good checklist of what kinds of photos to include to communicate everything about your item.
Getting Found in Search.
- Seriously, read this one. The ultimate guide to Etsy Search.
- I also learned things listening to the podcast that is linked in this “Your Search Questions Answered” article.
- Understanding the somewhat controversial new free shipping initiative.
- The ultimate guide to shipping has links to all of the current Etsy advice about being strategic about shipping costs.